Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Internet Dating Pros and Cons, by Sharon Matthews

Internet dating is a good way to meet other people. Many people are exposed to a diverse population, people of different ethnicities, and personal satisfaction using the internet to search for their mate. It gives opportunities to singles who otherwise wouldn’t have the opportunity. As more people are turning to online dating, they discover its advantages and disadvantages.


Before actually meeting, individuals who find each other through the internet first exchange emails and photos for maybe weeks before they meet. Most couples had a stronger attraction to each other prior to their first date, according to a study by Eli J. Finkel, an associate professor of social psychology at Northwestern University.

The problem is that internet dating may involve hidden agendas that don’t necessarily help people build strong relationships. Years ago, I chose an internet dating website. Their selection of profiles went beyond my preferences, such as ethnicities, values, careers, and religion. Two of the questions were, “Do you smoke?” and “Do you drink?” I didn’t understand why the men chose not to be honest about their habits. They answered those questions indirectly, something like, “I only smoke when I drink” or “I drink only when I smoke.” I finally realized that the person drinks and smokes frequently. My health played a very important factor, and that is why these questions were my biggest concern. I have a history of acute bronchitis.

The internet is growing industry, and more and more people are using these dating options, to their benefit or detriment.

1 comment:

  1. Those study findings are intriguing, aren't they, Sharon? Maybe we're in love with our fantasies more than the real thing. The "real thing" usually has too many bad habits--just like we do.

    ReplyDelete