Tuesday, March 29, 2016

What Bugs Me Most, by John Miller



What bugs me most can encompass everything. However, I think we will stick to the top pet peeve. The basic rudeness of people to one another on a daily basis makes me wonder: Are people so into themselves, or is there something else going on? Proper manners start at home, from the parents to their children. I have found that just making eye contact when I say good morning to other people will bring on a genuine smile. Having someone hold open a door for me is a pleasant surprise. This makes me wonder why some of the basic courtesies seem the hardest, like holding open a door or saying good morning to each other.                     

Proper manners are learned when we are very young. The toddler in day care has to be told to share the toys and that the toys are for everyone. As children become older, it is important to continue teaching basic manners and politeness. Respect for each other must be on the forefront of the teaching process. Learning to lose gracefully and win gracefully will help children to respect the feelings of others. When manners are not learned at home, the rest of society will suffer.

The biggest example of bad manners is the driving habits we see on the road. We are cutting other drivers off, not turning on turn signals, and tailgating, to name a few. When people are in their cars, there is the impression of anonymity. This is not to say that I am always innocent of bad manners, especially while I drive.

Imagine, if you will, a society where personal satisfaction came last. Instead, we would constantly put basic manners first in all of our lives. I know this Pollyanna approach to life will not happen, but just think of the possibilities.

When I meet a young man or woman who exceed my expectations of proper manners, I let them know that their parents have done a fine job. Having the proper manners in life will go a long way in making a better world.

2 comments:

  1. I can definitely relate. I myself have run into quite a few people who have never known the meaning of manners. When I do, I have especially think carefully about how I should react. Prison orange is not my color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect anonymity contributes to rudeness. We imagine that if we don't know the person we cut off in traffic, there'll be no repercussions. Maybe we'd be a more courteous society if we got to know each other better.

    ReplyDelete