Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Radiant beauty, by Sr. Mary Ann Smith, CSSF



Context: Auschwitz Survivor and Artist  Zofia Steplen wrote: “I’ve seen their huge, famished, black eyes and their emaciated bodies…Almost all the women had ulcerations, furuncles [painful boils on the skin], suppurating wounds. (…) I just tried to embellish it all.”


Some might only see your sadness and starvation.
I’ve been blessed with another kind of vision
That allows me to see beyond the surface.
I see only beauty in your eyes and in your smile.
Your deep faith and strength enable you
To overcome your misery.
Your inner beauty radiates to the surface.
Casting a warm glow of love, happiness and peace.
Beauty has overcome the evil that surrounds you.
That is what I see and will always remember.


1 comment:

  1. The artist was able to see beyond the emaciation and boils to the lovely spirit beneath. What a gift that was to her models/friends.

    ReplyDelete