Thursday, February 25, 2016

Would You? By Maricela Huerta



In my mind, we’re still together
In my mind, the scene is vivid.
We would have lain down together in a field
Turned our eyes to the sky and watched the clouds
Our chattering would mimic that of the birds
Inevitably, we would pick out the corny cute fluff
Of a wispy nimbus bunny
My mouth would enjoy the remnants of a Hershey’s kiss
I would offer you one
You would smile and accept
Your tenor voice caressing my name in thanks
Your warm hand brushing mine
As electricity crackles down my spine
I would let myself wonder
If your lips would taste of the same chocolate I offered
If you would smell just the same
As your shirt that you once lent me
I would wonder if your stubble would scratch my chin.
If your hand would feel as warm and strong as I imagine
And as I met your eyes
Whose color changes from the sky to the sea
I let myself believe
That I would take the icy plunge
And truly find out.

1 comment:

  1. Great use of specific, sensory details, Mari. I especially like "I would let myself wonder if your lips would taste of the same chocolate I offered." Very evocative!

    ReplyDelete